Bonsai News: Happy In His Miniature World

13 March 2005

Happy In His Miniature World

Prasanjit Dey in his garden in Ranchi. A Telegraph picture

Prasanjit Dey is a doctor by profession, but his passion for bonsai plants could give any horticulturist a run for his money.

It all started 10 years ago when a chance meeting with friend Shankar Chanda changed the way he looked at plants. “I consider Shankar my guru as it is he who taught me everything about bonsai. Prior to that I had no interest in plants. Now most of my leisure hours are spent looking after the plants, which have grown old with me. These plants need a lot of attention. I feel depressed when I don’t get to spend time with my plants. They are like my babies,” says Dey.

“Bonsai is an art and has a grammar of its own. It is about balance, geometry, rhythm and beauty. Trees with small leaves and those that require less time to mature are ideal for bonsai. These trees need nutritious fertiliser, which comprise of cowdung, oilcake powder, hoof and horn meal, blood and bone meal. Sunlight is also an essential ingredient for the healthy growth of trees,” added Dey.

Dey gets the seeds from riverbanks, forests and abroad. “Although you are not allowed to get trees from abroad, I have brought certified seeds from London, Las Vegas and Singapore. Whenever I visit a new place I keep my eyes and ears open for different types of trees. If I find anything interesting then I take a sample home in the form of cuttings, seeds or sometimes the entire plant,” said Dey.

Dey has an exhaustive stock of funny stories about his plant-hunting expeditions. “Once when I was returning from Jamshedpur in my car I saw a beautiful tree...it had an unusual shape. I got off my car to take a closer look at the tree. Soon, a crowd of curious onlookers gathered around me and I had people asking why I was staring at the tree. I’m am sure they thought I was mad. Embarrassed I drove away, but only to return on my scooter. I got a cutting and went back home. Thankfully, no one saw me cutting a stem of the tree,” laughed Dey.

Today, Dey has a collection of more than 1,000 bonsai and has no plan of selling them. Even the terrace of his clinic has more than 100 bonsai, which he personally waters every day.

A frequent traveller, Dey has a fleet of gardeners who looks after the plants in his absence. “My daughter lives abroad, so my wife and I frequently visit her. So, I have gardeners who look after the trees. I do miss my plants during these holidays. But my heart and soul remains in Ranchi with my plants. There have been times when my trees have died due to the negligence of the gardeners. But instead of throwing away the plants, I try to revive them. Sometimes I have failed and at times I have given them a fresh lease of life,” added Dey.

Dey has many favourites. His Baobab from Africa, Cedar from the Gangotri region, Fukien Tea trees are like his children. Maybe that’s the reason why Dey never thought about minting money selling the plants. Dey’s friends say he could have become a millionaire by selling his rare bonsai. But Dey feels that his passion for bonsai was an art, which cannot be sold at any price. Today, Dey has one wish — to generate awareness about the art of making bonsai. “In Japan, the art of making bonsais is looked upon with respect. But here very few people are aware of the art. I wish to popularise this art form. That’s my only goal now,” signed off Dey.


 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker